Resident Resources


During this uncertain time, Calder Commons remains committed to assisting our residents through this crisis. We’ve compiled a list of resources that may be useful to you and your loved ones while navigating the effects of Coronavirus on day-to-day life. As always, we are here to help.
Pennsylvania Department of Health is the most trusted site to find Pennsylvania-specific information and updates regarding COVID-19.

The United Way Helpline is available for general assistance and able to connect callers with many different resources: call 2-1-1 or text your zip code to 898-211.

If you are a student experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you can call University Health Services at (814) 863-4463. Any student who needs to schedule an appointment can call (814) 863-0774.

Penn State’s Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) is still open and providing support for students both in person and over the phone at (814) 863-0395.

Student Care & Advocacy assists students with financial issues, particularly as they are related to other areas of the university.

If you are a Penn State student looking for remote learning resources and assistance, click here.

If you are an international student with questions about how COVID-19 may affect your studies, Penn State’s Office of Global Programs can be reached at or (814) 865-1491.

If you are a student with disabilities in need of new academic accommodations, please call Student Disability Resources at (814) 863-1807 to make an appointment. 

The Central PA Food Bank and the State College Food Bank can assist with anyone experiencing food insecurity. A self-declaration of need form can be completed for food assistance through the state of Pennsylvania.

If you are employed in Pennsylvania and have experienced job loss or reduced hours due to the COVID-19 crisis, you can apply for unemployment compensation here.

If you own or are employed by a small business experiencing hardship, the U.S. Small Business Administration is offering multiple loans, resources, and guidance.

CATA Bus has suspended service for most of their routes but are operating on a limited schedule. Learn more here.

West Penn Power is suspending shut-offs and offering payment arrangements throughout the COVID-19 crisis.

The Bartender Emergency Assistance Program is available to bartenders experiencing emergency hardship.

State College’s Virtual Tip Jar is available to support workers who rely on tips. You can get on the list or give someone a tip here.

If you are able to donate, Penn State’s Student Care and Advocacy Fund supports students facing unexpected hardship. Any student with academic, health & wellness, or financial concerns can find assistance here.

Direct Payments from the Federal Government

The federal government will be making one-time cash payments directly to our citizens. These payments should be issued during the month of April either by check or direct deposit. How much will you receive?

  • Individuals earning less than $75,000 will receive $1,200.
  • Married couples earning less than $150,000 will receive $2,400.
  • If you have children, you will receive $500 per child.
  • Individuals earning more than $75,000 and less than $99,000 – and couples earning more than $150,000 and less than $198,000 – are eligible for a lesser amount.
Enhanced Unemployment Benefits

If you have lost your job, you can apply for state unemployment benefits here
Congress is enhancing state unemployment to provide more income and to cover more people.
  • Adds $600 per week for four months on top of state unemployment.
  • Adds up to 13 weeks of additional unemployment benefits to those already enrolled but who are nearing the end of benefits.
  • Expands the program to include a number of workers not normally eligible to receive unemployment benefits. This includes:
    • Freelancers
    • Independent contractors/gig workers
    • Self-employed
    • Those with limited work history
    • Employees who are still employed, but whose hours have been reduced

It is important to apply as soon as possible.  To help expedite aid, the federal government is funding the first week of benefits to encourage states to waive traditional waiting periods, but it may still take a couple of weeks to be processed.